Skip to main content

Cinematography's role in film

 Cinematography is defined by Britannica.com as "the art and technique of motion-picture photography." According to Britannica, it includes techniques including general scene composition, set or site lighting, camera, lens, filter, and film stock selection, camera angle and movements, and the integration of any special effects.

In order to make a film, it is essential for a producer to incorporate Cinematography in a film. considering Cinematography involves the general scene composition of scenes, and the essential components important for generating the images, it can be speculated that a film is nothing without cinematography. 

According to masterclass.com, The entire appearance and tone of a film's visual narrative are set and supported by cinematography. Every visual element that appears on screen, also known as the film's mise-en-scene, has the potential to serve and enrich the plot, thus it is the cinematographer's job to make sure that everything is in sync and works together to tell the tale. Basically, cinematography and mise en scene, or the film's setting, go hand in hand.



Bibliography:

-Encyclopædia Britannica, inc. (n.d.). Cinematography. Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved March 23, 2022, from https://www.britannica.com/topic/cinematography

- MasterClass. (2021, August 25). What is mise en scène in film? - 2022. MasterClass. Retrieved March 23, 2022, from https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-mise-en-scene-in-film#quiz-0

-MasterClass. (2021, October 1). Film 101: What is cinematography and what does a cinematographer do? - 2022. MasterClass. Retrieved March 23, 2022, from https://www.masterclass.com/articles/film-101-what-is-cinematography-and-what-does-a-cinematographer-do#quiz-0

-


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mise En Scene in film

 According to materclass.com, mise-en-scene is a phrase for the setting of a scene in a play or a film. It includes persons who are positioned on the stage or in front of the camera.  Mise en scène can help elevate a film from a collection of moving pictures to a work of art. Many diverse aspects, like setting, lighting, actors, décor, makeup, and so on, come into play to make this happen. Ultimately, the mise-en-scene of a film achieves not only the ability to convey to an audience the mood, drama, and likely occurrences of a scene or sequence, but also its affecting intensity, style of feeling, and the power to inspire the viewer to feel deeply as well. Bibliography: -  MasterClass. (2021, August 25). What is mise en scène in film? - 2022 . MasterClass. Retrieved March 23, 2022, from https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-mise-en-scene-in-film#quiz-0 -  Knudsen, S. S. (2021, November 2). What is mise en scène in filmmaking? an ultimate guide: Wedio . Bec...

Filming & Production

Filming and Production   My filming process was not as easy as I initially speculated. I started my production process by making my schedule and selecting the location for my filming and I decided that I was going to use my entire break to just shoot based on the scenes depicted in my storyboard and script. I filmed at school and I mainly used a tripod and a variety of handheld shots. I also made a variety of changes after I made my script and storyboard and I added some shots that were not planned, however, I did believe they would make my extract more meaningful. For my filming, I used an iPhone 8, iPhone XR, and a Canon rebel T100. For my lighting, I used a portable stage light I bought on amazon but I did not really like the way the shots came out so I did not really rely on the lighting. My establishing and master shots were done outside my house and the rest were done on the inside. I did film a shot of a town on the way to my Grandfather's house and I guess you could say the...

Scripting

The first step in planning a film is the script. The script connotates the plot of the film, it tells the story and order of the scenes while also describing the actions and dialogue of the characters. i began by looking at examples of other scripts done by professionals, they showed me not all scripts are the same and scripts are not only limited to the film conventions, they can be used for other aspects of media.  The image above is a script demonstrating a scene from the Disney animated film "Frozen". I used this as an example to make my own script. However, I wanted to make a non dialogue film script so I went and found an example of a film script that did not consist of dialogue. The image above shows a scene scripted from the animated movie, "Shawn the Sheep", this film contains no dialogue whatsoever so it was a perfect example of a non-dialogue script. My script: After reviewing many other scripts, I tried to come up with the best script for my openings seq...