Skip to main content

Genre

What is genre, How is it decided and What is its use in film?

In filming, the genre of the film plays one of the most important roles in the development of the film and the impact of the film's meaning on the audience. When it comes to the production of the film, deciding on the genre of the media is one of the preliminary decisions that the producer and cinematographer have to decide upon. In many instances, producers use statistical information surveyed from their intended audiences to decide upon the genre of their media. Character, story, storyline, and settings are the four aspects or parts that make up a genre. Story /Action + Plot + Character + Setting = Genre is a formula for remembering the genre. This makes it simple to recall the elements of a genre.  Some genres are as broad as comedy, yet they lack the sub-genres that humor does. Moreover, sub-genres are used in many instances to increase the accommodation for the specific likes of their audiences. Essentially, genres are used to determine the film itself, the plot, the setting, the character development, and the base storyline.


What are the primary genres used in filmmaking?

the basic genres used in filmmaking are:

  • Action. 

  • Comedy. 

  • Drama. 

  • Fantasy. 

  • Horror. 

  • Mystery. 

  • Romance. 

  • Thriller. 


How do other filmmakers use genre in their film production?

According to Openscreenplay.com, Main genres produce an emotional response as well as possible idea expectations. Subgenres tend to generate ideas rather than emotions. Genres are significant in film and television because they set expectations. When someone buys a movie ticket or sits down to watch your television show, they are opting for a specific experience, That experience is determined through the genre.


How will I select the genre for my own script?

After long consideration of the different genres I thought that it would be best for me to do a drama. Also my opening sequence was in some ways inspired by a few other films I have watched in the past I feel as if "DRAMA" just brings the most emotion and it accommodates for the most flexibility and versatility.



Bibliography:

- Bash, J. (2021, March 19). Why film genre is important and 6 ways to help you find yours. Open Screenplay. Retrieved March 22, 2022, from https://blog.openscreenplay.com/film-genre/-

-

-

-



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mise En Scene in film

 According to materclass.com, mise-en-scene is a phrase for the setting of a scene in a play or a film. It includes persons who are positioned on the stage or in front of the camera.  Mise en scène can help elevate a film from a collection of moving pictures to a work of art. Many diverse aspects, like setting, lighting, actors, décor, makeup, and so on, come into play to make this happen. Ultimately, the mise-en-scene of a film achieves not only the ability to convey to an audience the mood, drama, and likely occurrences of a scene or sequence, but also its affecting intensity, style of feeling, and the power to inspire the viewer to feel deeply as well. Bibliography: -  MasterClass. (2021, August 25). What is mise en scène in film? - 2022 . MasterClass. Retrieved March 23, 2022, from https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-mise-en-scene-in-film#quiz-0 -  Knudsen, S. S. (2021, November 2). What is mise en scène in filmmaking? an ultimate guide: Wedio . Bec...

Filming & Production

Filming and Production   My filming process was not as easy as I initially speculated. I started my production process by making my schedule and selecting the location for my filming and I decided that I was going to use my entire break to just shoot based on the scenes depicted in my storyboard and script. I filmed at school and I mainly used a tripod and a variety of handheld shots. I also made a variety of changes after I made my script and storyboard and I added some shots that were not planned, however, I did believe they would make my extract more meaningful. For my filming, I used an iPhone 8, iPhone XR, and a Canon rebel T100. For my lighting, I used a portable stage light I bought on amazon but I did not really like the way the shots came out so I did not really rely on the lighting. My establishing and master shots were done outside my house and the rest were done on the inside. I did film a shot of a town on the way to my Grandfather's house and I guess you could say the...

Scripting

The first step in planning a film is the script. The script connotates the plot of the film, it tells the story and order of the scenes while also describing the actions and dialogue of the characters. i began by looking at examples of other scripts done by professionals, they showed me not all scripts are the same and scripts are not only limited to the film conventions, they can be used for other aspects of media.  The image above is a script demonstrating a scene from the Disney animated film "Frozen". I used this as an example to make my own script. However, I wanted to make a non dialogue film script so I went and found an example of a film script that did not consist of dialogue. The image above shows a scene scripted from the animated movie, "Shawn the Sheep", this film contains no dialogue whatsoever so it was a perfect example of a non-dialogue script. My script: After reviewing many other scripts, I tried to come up with the best script for my openings seq...