Skip to main content

Sound in film

 Sound in film plays a major role in creating meaning in film. There are different types of sound in film. According to Marmosetmusic.com the 3 main types of sound in film are, dialogue, music and sound effects. Dialogue is defined as a written or spoken exchange of words between one or more characters, according to studiobinder.com. Essentially, it is the exchange of words between characters. Dialogue provides clarity with the characters feelings and emotions.

Music in film does a variety of things, according to vershortintroductions.com: it establishes setting, provides mood, brings attention to components, supports or foreshadows narrative events, lends meaning to a character's actions or communicates their thoughts, and evokes emotion.

Sound effects, according to toplinefilm.com, aid in the delivery of information, raise the production value, elicit emotional responses, accentuate what's on screen, and are utilized to express mood.

According to clipchamp.com, Diegetic sound is sound that originates from the film's setting. Sound from our world, such as the soundtrack or scoring, is referred to as non-diegetic sound.

Bibliography:

- Abreu, R., Rafael Abreu Rafael Abreu received his B.A. in English from Florida International Un, & Rafael Abreu received his B.A. in English from Florida International University. (2021, December 6). Dialogue - A writer's guide to spoken words. StudioBinder. Retrieved March 22, 2022, from https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/what-is-dialogue-definition/#:~:text=DIALOGUE%20DEFINITION,-What%20is%20dialogue&text=Dialogue%20is%20a%20written%20or,or%20dedicated%20spaces%20in%20scripts.

- https://www.veryshortintroductions.com/view/10.1093/actrade/9780195370874.001.0001/actrade-9780195370874-chapter-1#:~:text=Music%20in%20film%20achieves%20a,thoughts%3B%20and%20it%20creates%20emotion.

- The importance of sound effects. TopLine Film. (2021, March 5). Retrieved March 22, 2022, from https://toplinefilm.com/blog/the-importance-of-sound-effects#:~:text=Sound%20is%20important%20because%20it,is%20used%20to%20indicate%20mood.

- What is diegetic sound and non-diegetic sound in film?: Clipchamp Glossary. What is diegetic sound and non-diegetic sound in film? | Clipchamp Glossary. (n.d.). Retrieved March 22, 2022, from https://clipchamp.com/en/definition/what-is-diegetic-sound-film/#:~:text=Diegetic%20sound%20is%20sound%20that,piano%20being%20played%20on%2Dscreen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mise En Scene in film

 According to materclass.com, mise-en-scene is a phrase for the setting of a scene in a play or a film. It includes persons who are positioned on the stage or in front of the camera.  Mise en scène can help elevate a film from a collection of moving pictures to a work of art. Many diverse aspects, like setting, lighting, actors, décor, makeup, and so on, come into play to make this happen. Ultimately, the mise-en-scene of a film achieves not only the ability to convey to an audience the mood, drama, and likely occurrences of a scene or sequence, but also its affecting intensity, style of feeling, and the power to inspire the viewer to feel deeply as well. Bibliography: -  MasterClass. (2021, August 25). What is mise en scène in film? - 2022 . MasterClass. Retrieved March 23, 2022, from https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-mise-en-scene-in-film#quiz-0 -  Knudsen, S. S. (2021, November 2). What is mise en scène in filmmaking? an ultimate guide: Wedio . Bec...

Filming & Production

Filming and Production   My filming process was not as easy as I initially speculated. I started my production process by making my schedule and selecting the location for my filming and I decided that I was going to use my entire break to just shoot based on the scenes depicted in my storyboard and script. I filmed at school and I mainly used a tripod and a variety of handheld shots. I also made a variety of changes after I made my script and storyboard and I added some shots that were not planned, however, I did believe they would make my extract more meaningful. For my filming, I used an iPhone 8, iPhone XR, and a Canon rebel T100. For my lighting, I used a portable stage light I bought on amazon but I did not really like the way the shots came out so I did not really rely on the lighting. My establishing and master shots were done outside my house and the rest were done on the inside. I did film a shot of a town on the way to my Grandfather's house and I guess you could say the...

Scripting

The first step in planning a film is the script. The script connotates the plot of the film, it tells the story and order of the scenes while also describing the actions and dialogue of the characters. i began by looking at examples of other scripts done by professionals, they showed me not all scripts are the same and scripts are not only limited to the film conventions, they can be used for other aspects of media.  The image above is a script demonstrating a scene from the Disney animated film "Frozen". I used this as an example to make my own script. However, I wanted to make a non dialogue film script so I went and found an example of a film script that did not consist of dialogue. The image above shows a scene scripted from the animated movie, "Shawn the Sheep", this film contains no dialogue whatsoever so it was a perfect example of a non-dialogue script. My script: After reviewing many other scripts, I tried to come up with the best script for my openings seq...